- Field Yates, ESPN Insider
- 0 Shares
We continue our position-by-position look at the Patriots as they head into the draft with an examination of the quarterbacks.
Need level: Low
Overview: Brady is under contract for five more seasons and continues to play at an elite level. The Patriots are in no rush to find a new starter and Mallett is already considered a promising back-up. Throw in an interesting prospect in Kafka (who generated buzz after a strong rookie preseason back in 2010), and the Patriots have little need to invest in a quarterback right now. However, should the Patriots decide to trade Mallett, the dynamics would change. While there has been nothing substantiated in terms of trade talks between the Patriots a suitor for Mallett, there's a contingent of teams around the league in need of a young franchise signal caller, and Mallett is highly-regarded. In such a scenario, the Patriots would need to find a reserve for Brady, which could also be found on the veteran free agent market (although the pool is currently small).
Scouts, Inc. quarterback prospects of note:
1. Geno Smith, West Virginia. 6-2, 218 pounds. 2012 stats: 4,205 passing yards, 42 touchdowns, 6 interceptions
2. Tyler Wilson, Arkansas. 6-2, 215 pounds. 2012 stats: 3,387 passing yards, 21 touchdowns, 13 interceptions
3. Matt Barkley, USC. 6-3, 227 pounds. 2012 stats: 3,273 passing yards, 36 touchdowns, 15 interceptions
4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse. 6-2, 227 pounds. 2012 stats: 3,749 passing yards, 26 touchdowns, 10 interceptions
5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma. 6-4, 225. 2012 stats: 4,267 passing yards, 30 touchdowns, 11 interceptions
6. EJ Manuel, Florida State. 6-5, 237 pounds. 2012 stats: 3,392 passing yards, 23 touchdowns, 10 interceptions
7. Mike Glennon, North Carolina State. 6-7, 225 pounds. 2012 stats: 4,031 passing yards, 31 touchdowns, 17 interceptions
8. Tyler Bray, Tennessee. 6-6, 232 pounds. 2012 stats: 3,612 passing yards, 34 touchdowns, 12 interceptions.
For additional information on these prospects and more, CLICK HERE to check out the Scouts Inc. player database (Insider content).
We continue our position-by-position look at the Patriots as they head into the draft with an examination of the quarterbacks.Current personnel: Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Mike KafkaNeed level: LowOverview: Brady is under contract for five more seasons and continues to play at an elite level.