- Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Tuesday night that forward Josh Hairston is doubtful to play against NC State on Thursday in Durham after he suffered an infection as a result of stitches put into his arm from a cut suffered in last week's victory at Wake Forest. Krzyzewski said Hairston will be wearing a sling Wednesday. "I'm not optimistic for this game and we'll see about Sunday against Boston College,'' said Krzyzewski. "That puts us down to eight guys.'' Hairston had eight points and five rebounds in a loss at NC State on Jan. 12. Meanwhile, Krzyzewski said there is still no timetable for the return of senior forward Ryan Kelly from a right-foot injury. Kelly hasn't played since Jan. 8. "It's almost been a month now and there is no new news,'' said Krzyzewski. "He's getting better but he still can't do anything weight-bearing yet.''
2. Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett said during "Katz Korner" on Tuesday on ESPNU that he couldn't comment on the Gaels' appearance at a December hearing of the NCAA committee on infractions, but once the "issue is resolved,'' he would be willing to speak on the matter. The Gaels might not hear on the subject until after the season, so it's not likely to affect this season. In discussing the end of BracketBusters event after this season, Bennett said that playing in the non-conference game in February has helped the Gaels get into the NCAA tournament, even last season, when they lost at Murray State. Saint Mary's hosts Creighton on Feb. 23 in this season's premier matchup.
3. Akron coach Keith Dambrot said the school, not the Mid-American Conference, wasn't interested in switching the Zips from being a home team to a road team in BracketBusters to get a better matchup in the event (such as a game at Indiana State or Belmont). The Zips drew one of the Summit League front-runners in North Dakota State, which will hardly be a walk for Akron. NDSU coach Saul Phillips has put together another possible NCAA team and has the respect of Dambrot. After the Zips moved to 9-0 in the MAC with a victory over Central Michigan, Dambrot said that the Feb. 22 game against the Bison will turn out to be a quality one -- and a tough one for the Zips to win. Akron is 18-4, but Dambrot pointed out that its overtime loss to Oklahoma State in Puerto Rico in November came without two of its top five scorers in Nick Harney and Demetrius Treadwell, who both missed the first three games of the season due to an eligibility issue.
1. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Tuesday night that forward Josh Hairston is doubtful to play against NC State on Thursday in Durham after he suffered an infection as a result of stitches put into his arm from a cut suffered in last week's victory at Wake Forest.