Texas vs. The Nation notes
- Michigan State's Anthony Rashard White was pretty impressive for the The Nation and might be worth a pick in the middle rounds. White, 6-foot-2, 330 pounds, played defensive tackle and took on numerous double-teams and was able to get some pressures on the Texas quarterbacks. White was difficult to block on several plays as he displayed quickness and power. Some NFL teams could see him as a nose tackle, but the Cowboys, if they're considering him, could place him at defensive tackle.
- Tight end Matt Furstenburg from Maryland ran some good routes and didn't have too many problems blocking. Furstenburg is a big target at 6--foot-3, 244 pounds. He seems like a fourth- or fifth-round pick and if the Cowboys select him, he could become the No. 3 tight end if John Phillips doesn't get re-signed in the offseason and James Hanna moves up the depth chart.
- Texas A&M center Patrick Lewis looked pretty good in run blocking and seems to have that push you're looking for. The Cowboys started three different centers last season due to injury. Lewis should get a serious look at Dallas Day this spring. He's not a highly-regarded draft pick, but we'll see how he performs moving forward in his workouts with other teams.
- Cornerback AJ Bouye from Central Florida forced a fumble and looked good in man coverage on Saturday. Bouye has the skill set to play slot corner because he has quick feet and isn't afraid to mix it up with wide receivers. The Texas quarterbacks targeted him on consecutive plays late in the first half and while the receiver caught the passes, there was little room to get free.
- SMU outside linebacker Ja'Gared Davis was good rushing off the edge and picked up a tackle for loss and provided some pressure on the quarterback. Davis was quick off the ball and showed some finesse and power in his rushes. Davis is another player the Cowboys should bring to Dallas Day and maybe target him as a late draft pick.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Jerry Jones' recent comments, Cowboys OTAs, Dez Bryant and more.
Play Podcast Todd Archer joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the latest Tony Romo news and what he will be watching for in OTAs.
Play Podcast Nate Newton joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his comments on how Jason Garrett should handle being on the hot seat and not let Jerry Jones get in the way.
Play Podcast Cowboys safety Barry Church joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the new defensive scheme and the impact it will have on him, how much more intense he expects practice to be with Monte Kiffin and his expectations.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider Ed Werder joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the latest Cowboys news, including Jason Garrett downplaying Tony Romo's involvement in offensive planning and play calling.
Play Podcast John Lynch joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss playing for Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli, why Cowboys fans should be excited about the new defensive staff, why Valley Ranch will no longer resemble a country club and his thoughts on the Cowboys' roster.
Play Podcast Herm Edwards joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the latest Cowboys news and give his take on what new face will make the biggest impact for Dallas.
Play Podcast Nate Newton joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss what he saw at the Cowboys' rookie minicamp and how he helped Rod Marinelli on the defensive side of the ball.