Gerald Sensabaugh's future in doubt?

February, 25, 2013
2/25/13
10:00
AM ET
INDIANAPOLIS – As Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Saturday, the Cowboys are “very challenged under the cap,” and they will be looking here, there and everywhere to come up with ways to get under the salary cap.

For most of the offseason the focus has been on Tony Romo’s extension and re-working the contracts of Brandon Carr, Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin.

What about safety Gerald Sensabaugh?

Sensabaugh has missed only two games in his four years with the Cowboys. He finished last year with 62 tackles but did not have an interception and had six pass breakups in the second-year of an extension through 2016.

Sensabaugh’s $3 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on March 12. If the Cowboys cut Sensabaugh, they would save $1.4 million.

Jones said the addition of defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin upgrades the Cowboys at safety because of what they will ask of the position. Does that put Sensabaugh, who will count $3.8 million against the cap, in jeopardy?

Barry Church is coming back from a torn Achilles, but coach Jason Garrett said Church’s return is ahead of schedule. The Cowboys liked what Matt Johnson did in extremely limited practice work in 2012, but he never played a snap as a rookie mostly because of hamstring injuries. Danny McCray is a restricted free agent and Eric Frampton is an unrestricted free agent.

Safety is considered one of the draft’s strengths and the Cowboys will have a visit with Texas’ Kenny Vaccaro.

Todd Archer

ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?

Insider