- Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter
- 0 Shares
Quick thoughts on the Jets' signing of former Jaguars S Dawan Landry:
1. IDEAL MARRIAGE: This deal made too much sense for it not to happen. Landry needed a job after getting cut last month, and the Jets needed a veteran safety, desperately. Landry played for Rex Ryan and Dennis Thurman with the Ravens, which means he already knows their defensive system. That's important because their scheme is difficult to master, especially for safeties. This should help tremendously with the transition.
2. LITTLE BROTHER IS WATCHING: The Jets kept it all in the family, as Dawan will replace his younger brother, LaRon, who made the Pro Bowl in his only season with the Jets. Let's be clear: Dawan isn't as good as his brother, not as dynamic or intimidating in the secondary, but he's a dependable and durable player who won't kill the defense with mental mistakes.
3. FILLS A GAPING HOLE: Let's face it, the Jets' safety situation might have been the worst in the league. After losing LaRon (Colts) and Yeremiah Bell (Cards) in free agency, and releasing Eric Smith, they were down to Antonio Allen and Josh Bush, neither of whom is ready to step into a full-time role. There's still a good chance they will pick a safety on the second day of the draft, a player whom they believe can be a Day 1 starter.
4. LIMITED IN PASS COVERAGE: Dawan is a "box" safety, meaning he's better around the line of scrimmage than in pass coverage. In overall play, he was rated 69th among 88 safeties last season, according to ProFootballFocus.com. (Interestingly, LaRon was only 65th on the list.) Dawan allowed a 107.4 passer rating and three touchdown passes, per PFF. He's not a productive blitzer and, although his strength is playing the run, he was charged with 10 missed tackles. Obviously, there's a reason he lasted so long on the open market. His best days might be behind him, but he's a good fit for the Jets, considering the need and his familiarity with the playbook.
Quick thoughts on the Jets' signing of former Jaguars S Dawan Landry: 1. IDEAL MARRIAGE: This deal made too much sense for it not to happen. Landry needed a job after getting cut last month, and the Jets needed a veteran safety, desperately.