- DJ Gallo, ESPN.com
- 0 Shares
America’s great day of faxing is over and the recruit rankings are in. Some programs did well, others whiffed -- and those programs know who they are.
See if you can match the post-national signing day quotes below with the coach who said it. Yay! Pop quizzes are fun! (Who said academics and college football don’t go together anymore?)
1. “We feel good about how we're doing it. We're doing it first class. We're doing it the right way, and I think we're getting people that fit into what we do."
2. “We're excited about this class of young men set to join our program. Give credit to our assistants and staff for putting together this collection of talent that will join us in our goal of winning championships.”
3. “I can't imagine a better class of 13 guys in the country. Our top 13 are better than anybody else's top 13.”
4. “We feel good about the class. At the end of the day, we are excited about the young men we are bringing in. It's a great start to the 2013 season.”
5. “Each and every one of these kids, right here, I'm happy we have. There isn't one kid where I say, ‘God, I wish we would have got that kid over him.’ I'm happy with every guy on that list.”
6. “I think sometimes in smaller classes, you do a better job of your evaluation. ... We talked to them when they came in and some had a chip on their shoulder because they’re not as highly ranked. They’ll fight harder to play well.”
7. "I'm so thankful and blessed that these families have chosen to trust in us. We'll treat these young men as our own."
A. Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss head coach
B. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State head coach
C. Charlie Weis, Kansas head coach
D. Jerry Kill, Minnesota head coach
E. Todd Monken, Southern Miss head coach
F. Lane Kiffin, USC head coach
G. Mack Brown, Texas head coach
1: D. Minnesota’s class was ranked 75th by ESPN.com. ESPN’s program rankings stop at 75. It was also the lowest-rated class in the Big Ten.
2: B. Mississippi State’s class was ranked 25th and was greatly overshadowed by the haul brought in by rival Ole Miss.
3: F. USC signed only 13 players and plummeted down the recruiting rankings when a trio of highly touted prospects decommitted.
4: E. Southern Miss’ class did not make the ESPN.com rankings. The Golden Eagles were the only FBS team last season without a win.
5: C. Charlie Weis’ Kansas team was 1-11 (0-9) last year and reeled in a class ranked 55th. Weis was forced to resort to going after many junior college players.
6: G. Mack Brown’s class was one of the smallest and lowest-rated of his time at Texas.
7: A. Ole Miss surprised by bringing in the No. 5-rated class, led by No. 1 recruit Robert Nkemdiche.