Alex Morgan: Author and fashionista
Birthplace: Diamond Bar, Calif.
Siblings: Youngest of three girls; sisters are Jenny and Jeri
Twitter handle: @alexmorgan13
Number of Twitter followers: 1,192,867 (at last check) and climbing
15 things you didn't know about Alex Morgan:
1. Last year, teammate Sydney Leroux convinced Morgan to dress up as U.S. women's gymnastics team member McKayla Maroney on Halloween while Leroux went as Gabby Douglas. They left their real medals at home and wore fake gold medals.
2. Morgan started wearing a pink headband when she was a sophomore in college in support of her boyfriend's mother, who was being treated for breast cancer. (The headband is actually a type of kinesiology tape used by trainers to protect an athlete's skin from bandages.) Morgan is still dating the same guy -- Seattle Sounders FC midfielder Servando Carrasco -- and his mom has been cancer-free for six years.
3. Her headband has its own Twitter handle, @AMsPinkHeadband. "I have no idea who's behind it," she says, "but it's really funny." Sample tweets include "Wondering what they put in the water in Spain because they produce some pretty damn good football players"; "Lets [sic] take a moment of silence for all the turkeys who are stuffed in a place where anyone shouldn't be stuffed. #Thanksgiving"; and "Hey, I just met you and this is crazy ... But we just won gold, world champions baby!"
4. H2Whoa! Alex has gone swimming with dolphins, met sea turtles while paddleboarding, and grew up jet skiing on the Colorado River and Lake Mohave. It makes sense -- she's a Cancer, which is a water sign.
5. Business Insider named Morgan one of "The 50 Most Dominant Athletes Alive." Only 10 other female athletes to make the cut: Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings, Abby Wambach, Victoria Azarenka, Ronda Rousey, Brittney Griner, Gabby Douglas, Ye Shiwen, Missy Franklin and Serena Williams.
6. No pit stains here: Morgan has starred in a Degree deodorant Do: More commercial. (Fellow featured athletes Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant smell just as sweet, too.)
7. She doesn't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day: Morgan strutted her stuff on the runway during New York Fashion Week in 2012 in a multicolored Michael Kuluva tank mini-dress and four-and-a-half inch heels. "At first I was really intimidated by all the models," she says, "but once I walked, I was hooked. It got my adrenaline rushing. It was one of the most fun things I've done."
8. She's tweeted about needing chocolate because it's "#thattimeofmonth," she bakes a mean funfetti cake and she noshes on red velvet cupcakes. That penchant for sweets has led to dental troubles: Six months ago, she got her first adult cavity.
9. Black mascara is the one makeup item she can't live without.
10. Her father, Mike, has said, "I'm not known anymore as Mike Morgan. I'm Alex Morgan's dad. That's how I'm introduced."
11. She likes "Wipeout" and the History Channel's "The Bible" -- she once watched 10 episodes in three days.
12. Morgan swears her flights are always delayed, and she's heard every excuse in the book, from "fuel pump abnormality" to "maintenance bringing over the wrong part." Her longest delay was a flight from Portland to Frankfurt via Amsterdam that got diverted to Atlanta and ultimately arrived 14 hours late. Morgan's bags were lost for three days, forcing her to borrow a teammate's cleats.
13. Her nicknames include Alex (her full name is Alexandra), Ali, Al, Ali Cat, A-Mor and Baby Horse (because she used to be the youngest member on her team and because she has really long strides).
14. At Starbucks, she orders a grande nonfat two-pump vanilla latte.
15. She's beauty and brains. Morgan finished at Cal-Berkeley a semester early and earned a spot on the 2010 CoSIDA/ESPN Academic All-District team. Also add "best-selling author" to her resume: Simon & Schuster just published "The Kicks: Saving the Team," Morgan's book aimed at middle school kids. It's about a 12-year-old soccer star named Devin who was about to be named captain of her seventh-grade soccer team until her family moves from Connecticut to California.