9:37 PM ET, October 8, 2009
Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, California
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Right when Torii Hunter's three-run homer hit the rock pile beyond center field at Angel Stadium, two bursts of fireworks shot up from the artificial boulders.
• The Red Sox got shut out in a postseason game for the first time since Game 2 of the 1995 ALDS vs. the Indians.
• The shutout victory was the first in Angels postseason history.
• The Angels have never gone on to win a postseason series in which they won Game 1, losing all three previous series in which they did so.
• John Lackey got the win, throwing 7 1/3 shutout innings. He had been 0-3 in his last four postseason appearances.
• The Angels had dropped nine of their previous 10 postseason games against the Red Sox before Thursday's win.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Francona didn't appear in pregame introductions because he wasn't feeling well. He still managed the game. ... Abreu's four walks tied David Ortiz's division series record, set Oct. 5, 2007, against the Angels. ... Lackey thought he had ended the third inning with Jacoby Ellsbury's grounder back to the mound, but plate umpire Joe West made a very late call of catcher's interference, well after broadcaster TBS had already gone to commercials. Lackey still coolly retired Pedroia.
ANAHEIM, CA - OCTOBER 08: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim manager Mike Scioscia speaks to the media before Game One...(Photo by Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images)
|5th||T Hunter homered to center, E Aybar and B Abreu scored.||0||3|
|7th||K Morales singled to center, V Guerrero scored, J Rivera to third, J Rivera scored, K Morales to second on throwing error by left fielder J Bay.||0||5|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, CA|
|Attendance||45,070 (99.1% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||65 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Joe West, First Base - C.B. Bucknor, Second Base - Eric Cooper, Third Base - Greg Gibson|
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- All-Star Game