ATLANTA -- Freshman R.J. Hunter poured in a career-high 38 points, including a school- and Colonial Athletic Association-record 10 3-pointers, as Georgia State dismantled Old Dominion 83-63 Saturday.
Hunter, the son of coach Ron Hunter, hit 10 of 15 3-pointers and scored the most points by any CAA player this season. It's the most by a Georgia State player since Anton Reese had 38 in 1998.The Panthers (12-12, 7-4), who've won six of their last seven games, led 33-28 at halftime. In one 5-minute stretch of the second half, Hunter scored 19 straight Georgia State points on five treys, two foul shots and a dunk. He finished 12 for 18 from the floor.Georgia State, which shot a season-high 53.8 percent (28 for 52), got 16 points from Manny Atkins.Old Dominion (2-19, 0-9), which lost its ninth straight, was 4 for 21 on 3-pointers. DeShawn posted a 15-point, 14-rebound double-double.
Georgia State Panthers freshman R.J. Hunter scored a career-high 38 points, including going 10-15 on 3-point FG today vs. Old Dominion.
A few notes on Hunter's outstanding effort today:
* Most points scored by a freshman this season
* Becomes only the 4th Division-I player (and only freshman) to make 10+ 3-pt FG in a game this season
* Most points by any CAA player this season
* Most points scored by a Georgia State player since 1998
* 10 3-pt FGM ties CAA record (Dre Smith, George Mason, Jan. 19, 2008)
* Scored 19 straight points in 2nd half
R.J. Hunter scored 38 points and made 10 three-pointers in Saturday's win over Old Dominion. He joins Travis Bader of Oakland as the only Division I players to score at least 38 points while making 10 3-pt FG this season.